Eric Von der Porten, RIP

I’ve been putting off writing this entry because, well, because I never would have thought in a million years that I would need to write it.

Eric passed away last Tuesday.

This is a terrible loss for our community. Eric was one of those uncommon individuals who was willing to give unselfishly of his time to make San Carlos better than it would otherwise have been. Whether it was serving on the school board, opening up our local high schools, supporting numerous philanthropic organizations or just adding a thoughtful, reasoned perspective to contentious debates, he was there.

On a more personal level, Eric was the guy who first approached me about running for the school board years ago. We spent a lot of time working together on various initiatives that came before the Board and the community, including San Carlos’ first school parcel tax.

We made an odd couple, with me generally wanting to charge in where angels fear to tread, and Eric lobbying for a more nuanced approach. I was impressed with his seemingly unfailing optimism, which ran counter to my New York-bred sensibilities. I liked to tell people that if I was trapped with Eric in a burning building in the middle of a blizzard he’d point out that at least we wouldn’t have to worry about not having enough heat and light as we searched for a way out. While our relationship was mostly a professional one, there was a personal connection there as well. I’ll miss him.

As in all these situations the real impact and burden falls on Cathy, Eric’s wife, and their two children, Peter and Laura. Leslie Dennis, a neighbor and friend of the family, has graciously stepped forward to coordinate the efforts of anyone who’d like to help. You can email her at Leslie@rre.com, or call her at 637-9114.

Many have asked about memorial services to commemorate Eric’s life. Cathy is currently thinking of a community memorial to be held sometime after the holidays, in early January. As soon as I know anything definite I’ll post the details on my blog. In lieu of flowers and gifts the family is asking people to make a donation in Eric’s name to the San Carlos Educational Foundation or the Carlmont Academic Foundation.

Links to obituaries I’ve found:

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *